I have an article about using video in technical documentation. Today I’d like to talk about video-publishing platforms.
Video hosting is a platform for uploading and watching videos on the Internet. The most popular service for watching videos online is YouTube. But what can you do if you do not want to use YouTube? Or your customers, for some reason, cannot watch YouTube? The answer is — another video publishing platform. While these platforms are significantly less widespread than YouTube, some open source development, transparent terms, improved search algorithms, privacy-focused approaches, alternative payment systems for content creators, and more.
- Vimeo. With over 200 million users, Vimeo allows you to post videos for free and without ads. It allows much higher video quality than YouTube, which encourages users to focus on quantity rather than quality.
- DTube is one of the best privacy-focused video platforms you can use. It’s completely decentralized; DTube videos aren’t uploaded and streamed from one centralized server as they are with Youtube. D.Tube offers a state-of-the-art video streaming service where users can find and download all types of content.
- LBRY does not call itself a video-sharing service but rather a marketplace for all types of digital content with a focus on video. The company offers its services to those who care about privacy and freedom, for artists, content producers, computer geeks, and others.
- Metacafe is a video-sharing website specializing in short-form video entertainment in movies, video games, sports, music, and TV.
- Dlive aims to act as a streaming service based on a shared value and seeks to empower both viewers and creators with an innovative incentive system.
- Twitch is a popular live streaming platform as well as a popular video platform that helps users watch whatever they like directly from TV and PC.
- Veoh is an Internet television company that allows users to find and watch major studio content, independent productions, and user-generated material.
- Younow is well known as a social live TV platform that can help users stream their favorite videos directly from their webcam and mobile phone. People rate it as an interactive platform for meeting new friends.
- Wistia provides a great video player and hosting platform to further integrate videos on your website in the most professional way. You can play videos at super-fast speed and avoid spam ads or distracting third-party ads.
- VdoCipher. Great for eLearning, VdoCipher is another great video hosting platform that restricts viewers from uploading your video. There has been a lot of piracy on the internet, and the platform’s Hollywood DRM certification completely stops that for your videos.
- Utreon is a video platform that provides a superior video experience for viewers and creators. Everything that irritated you about Youtube is stripped away on this video platform and content creators have much more freedom of expression.
YouTube is a popular video-sharing platform. However, if you cannot use this social media platform, here is a list of applications capable of replacing YouTube. I hope I made your life easier in some way.
Have a nice day!
Bradley Nice, Content Manager at ClickHelp.com — best online documentation tool for SaaS vendors